So, anyway, we're off to a graduation ceremony this afternoon. (We may need to print out this Graduation Bingo from Wired.)
Just in case you have a lazy, rainy Saturday ahead of you, I have a lot of links for you this week!
Spiritual / Inner Life
- It's Not About Being the Most Amazing by Heather at Mama Knows, Honey Child.
- Confirmed: First Born Siblings are More Conservative from Hot Air. File under "things that make you go hmm..." Seems anecdotal to me and I'm not sure it's even borne out in my family of origin.
- Life Online Is Part of Your Life Too by Christy at Fountains of Home. Yes!
- In Defense of Pretty Things and Pretty People from Em Speaks.
- Introversion and Online Friendships from Em Speaks. She was on a roll this week. (And she quoted C.S. Lewis both times. Lewis has something applicable on almost any subject.)
- Where To Find Real Simplicity by Scott Redd at TGC.
- Skip the Verse, Memorize the Book by Joe Carter at TGC. We've cultivated the habit of memorizing longer passages of scripture in our family, but we haven't quite memorized an entire book yet. That would be a great goal to set.
- What Does 1+1=2 Mean? Why Christianity Matters for Math (and Everything Else) by Joe Carter.
- Conquer Your Small Fears by Tsh at The Art of Simple.
- 10 Problems with Frozen by Amber Van Schooneveld. I've been protesting about #4 since I saw the movie the first time. That's just sloppy story-telling. (And yes, we're still loving the soundtrack around here. Well, my kids are. Philip and I are pretty much OVER IT.)
- 10 Ways to Maximize Moments of Rest by Rachel Wojnarowski at The Better Mom.
- Raising Self Governed Children by Sally Clarkson at I Take Joy.
- Recognizing Dangerous Philosophies by Carol Barnier for HEDUA. Homeschoolers seem more prone to this or maybe I'm just more familiar with the phenomenon. We're outside the mainstream so we seek validation of our methods and that can make some of us vulnerable to gurus and cult-like behavior. I'm thankful my parents (who homeschooled me) could smell a rat and avoided Gothardism back when many of their friends were blindly following.
- Saving Higher Ed from Middle Class Tyranny by Peter Augustine Lawler. Long and thought provoking. (And somewhat related to a book I'm reading right now:Norms and Nobility: A Treatise on Education
by David V. Hicks.
- Behold the Two Absolutely Worst Arguments Against Homeschooling by Matt Walsh. I meant to link to this weeks ago but it got lost in my inbox.
- 8 Tips for Parents Who Have Saved Nothing for College by Ron Lieber. Interesting article sent to me by my husband, although we don't agree with the last point (taking on debt).
- Negative Space in Homeschooling by Amy Frank for Simple Homeschool.
- The Only Homeschool Room You Need is In Your Heart by Daniele Evans at Free Homeschool Deals.
- The Climate Change Debate is Over, and Environmentalists Lost by David Harsanyi for The Federalist.
- The Last Communist City by Michael J. Totten. This is a well written, fact based article and yet it's haunting. Such unnecessary suffering so close to our own comfortable, apathetic country.
- These Are the Most Popular Baby Names in Ohio. I love statistics about names. And yes, I know multiple children with these names.
- ITV Should Un-Cancel The Bletchley Circle. Yes, yes they should. It's a solid, well acted and interesting ensemble cast period drama. It's not flashy or, dare I say, soap-operatic like Downton Abbey. But it didn't deserve to be cancelled.
- 18 Brutally Honest Slogans for the Apps that Everyone Has from Buzzfeed. (language and content warning.)
This post is linked here:

No comments:
Post a Comment
I promise to be candid and you can be too. Blogging is best when it's a conversation. Thanks for taking the time to read this post and respond. I enjoy hearing what you have to say.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.